Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Progesterone Pain

Progesterone is a bitch.

The past two weeks have been filled with symptoms that had me absolutely sure I was knocked up. My boobs ached. My nipples would not be "at ease." I had light cramping in my lady zone. Smells were really bugging me. I was overly emotional. I seemed to be pudging out.

However, two pee sticks have confirmed I definitely do not have anything growing in my uterus, except maybe mold; and a quick Googling of "prometrium side effects" told me just why I have been feeling so funky. Oh, and since I took the last dose on Saturday the effect have been lessening. I don't think that's supposed to happen with pregnancy.

Still, I'm glad that at least the progesterone is doing something. It gives me hope that is is helping with something my body previously wasn't doing correctly. Now, we just have to get it doing the other parts correctly as well, at the same time, and voila, I will have good news to report.

Or maybe I'll just start playing the lottery. Sometimes it feels like those odds are better...

5 comments:

  1. Well, are there any pregnancy-promoting drugs without the funky-feeling side effects?

    Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each month I used them, the severity of the "I AM SURE I'M PREGGO" side-effects got easier/less. In fact, when I first started with them, I stopped after my 14 day lp and it would take 2-3 days for AF to start. The cycle before we got pregnant, I 'broke through' bled even with 2 suppositories (200mg each) per day...on day 10/11. ('normal' lp is like 5, if I am lucky) The pills kept doing their job but my body did stop over-reacting. Prometrium does seem cruelly ironic. Hang in there:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it does terrific and wonderful things, but I felt poisoned by progesterone (just the stuff my body produced). Aside from sick, exhausted and unable to breathe, I felt psychotic. Like I was not driving the bus any more; some lunatic had bound and gagged me in the back of the bus and was driving me toward a cliff. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah progesterone really didn't work for me...sure, my LP was a lot longer and I didn't spot, but apparently my body is not fooled that easily. If I stopped the progesterone at 14 dpo I wouldn't get AF until 18-19 dpo and the next cycle I would ovulate super early (at the exact time I was supposed to ovulate if I hadn't taken the progesterone!). Later I have become pregnant without it (ectopic, but that had clearly nothing to do with my progesterone levels) so I have decided that although I might not have a perfect LP, it's good enough! I have not been able to find anyone who reacted the same way though, can I really be the only one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lise, that has been my experience too! As for the side effects of the prometrium, it was killing me when I took it orally. I saw a lot of people online saying you can take the pills vaginally and the side effects are better, so I asked my doc and she said it was fine. Let me tell you, it is sooooo much better. I wouldn't have been able to stay on it orally, I was miserable - dizzy, exhausted, totally unable to concentrate. If you aren't already, you might try taking them vaginally (yes, the same pills you take orally). I just use an applicator for yeast infection suppositories (or you can just stick it up there with your finger, sorry tmi) and put it in before bed. It made a huge difference for me - now it's just sore boobs really. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete